Friday, October 5, 2018

LCI students get an inside look at the Supreme Court


In a timely field trip, students from the National Capital Region toured the Supreme Court recently. Below, several students recount their experiences.

By Seham Alqahtani

Last week, we visited Supreme Court. First, I went with professors and students on the
Metro. Second, when we arrived at Supreme Court, it was rainy and cloudy. Then, we saw paintings of the Supreme Court. It was very beautiful. Also, we entered a large hall together. There was someone talking about judges. Additionally, we a movie together. It was a lovely day,
and I enjoyed with my friends, and my professors.


Ashwaq Alhajri

I have been to many trip, in my life but I will never forget out trip to Supreme Court. It was amazing. First, the court consists of chief justice and eight justice and it looked they have good relation and care about people. Second, the design of Supreme Court was amazing and fancy. They told us it is Italy and Spain design. Third, when I saw the building I knew that it was different building it was big and the design was different from the other buildings and the colors of building  was amazing. Finally, I love when we went to Supreme Court as group and I did not see building like this because of that I love it.


Natalia Rodriguez

Can someone  imagine an unique place where the subjective art could be mixed with objective law? Certainly the temple of justice, the third power of the United States, the highest tribunal in the Nation, this is The Supreme Court of the United States. It was opened to the public in 1935. Visitors are welcome to receive a tour that include two stages.

At the beginning is notorious to see majestic art sculptures, figures and symbols outdoors and indoors to the building that express different meanings related to both American and legal themes. Its design detail represent an ancient history that brought shocking facts or events which ones marked and formed the nominated “Constitution”. Afterwards, is impressive to see across the Great Hall busts of former Chief justices, then the large landmark John Marshall statue, who made the Nation's longest serving Chief Justice from 1801-1835 and huge columns and pedestals along the side walls made of an exclusive marble from Spain and Italy.

The first stage of the tour is performance inside The Courtroom where the tour guide explain about who are the participants with their seating area assigned, the judicial functions of the Supreme Court and the building's history in a 30 minutes program. The participants in the Courtroom are: Justices, Clerk, Marshal, Marshal's AIDES, Attorneys, Law Clerks, Special Guests and News Media. The Supreme Court meets between October and June. The Court generally hears two one-hour arguments a day, at 10 a.m. And 11 a.m. And sometimes afternoon sessions are scheduled if is necessary. Arguments are held on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays in two-week intervals through late April.  An oral argument last one hour average, and attorneys are given 30 minutes each one to make a presentation and answer questions posed by the justices.


Jiyeon Shim

I’m a mother of 3 years old baby, however, I was so excited to go on a field trip like an elementary student because I wanted to be a fair and square judge when I was young. Thinking that I could have chance to meet justices whom I admire, I couldn’t sleep well the day before the field trip. It was an unexpected rainy day but I couldn’t calm myself down since Supreme Court is the place in charge of judicial power.

When I first entered the court room, I was a little bit surprised because the size of the room was smaller than I thought. However, it was beautiful and dignified. According to the movie from the Supreme Court, as the building was built during the Great Depression, it was able to build a nice building at a low price. The pillars made up of European marbles and pretty flower-shaped ceiling were impressive. Every people in the room was curious about the meaning of the flower, but the docent said that it has no meaning. The docent introduced Chief Justice Marshall, whose term in office was the longest among all justices. He contributed the main foundation of the U.S. constitutional analysis system, including the principle of judicial review. I could also see his statue in the building.

After the docent introduced John Marshall, she explained about the process of decision making in the Supreme Court. Once case is selected, decision for the case is made through oral argument. I was impressed that every people could see oral arguments. Justices have the exclusive chamber which make them not to be interfered from anyone else for the fair decisions.

There were 8 seats for justices because of the retirement of Anthony Kennedy. Pointing to the chairs, the docent explained the order in which the judges sit down. Following the rule of seniority, justices have their own seat. The docent asked us who is serving the longest among current justices. Most of us surmised Justice Ginsburg, but the answer was Clarence Thomas. He sit next to the chief justice on the right side. I was astonished when I heard their ages. Unless there is impeachment, justices may serve for the remainder of their lives. I thought that this rule could strengthen the judicial power.

Leaving the Supreme Court, I acknowledge that the majestic building and process of decision means that the Supreme Court represented judicial power. Once again, I could recognize again the importance of the separation of powers for justice. I hope that the separation of the three powers of the United States can be maintained as the judicial sphere has been preserved.